<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d13597791\x26blogName\x3dAAAI-05++Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://aaai05blog.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://aaai05blog.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-7311799087187756948', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Stats review

While I'm waiting for the coffee break to end, and my tea to cool to a drinkable temperature, I may as well post a brief update. So far, the empirical methods tutorial has been review for me, but since it's been a few years, and I need to doing this myself later this summer, I suppose a refresher doesn't hurt, and it certainly helps that Paul Cohen's a much better speaker than the stats prof I had years ago.

edit: It's amazing how much of a difference it makes, having a use for the material. I remember struggling to stay awake every day in that stats class years ago, but today's session is proving rather interesting. Surprisingly, it's almost 3.5 hours in, and I'm still wide awake, especially now that he's covering some material that's new to me. I definitely need to read more on analysis of variance now; it could come in handy when I go back home. I'm a little disappointed he skipped the section on experimental design in favour of bootstrapping, but hopefully he'll have time to come back to that before we finish.

edit: On second thought, I'm glad he went with the bootstrapping first; it wouldn't have compressed well to fit these last 15 minutes.

1 Comments:

Blogger jkopena said...

Cohen definitely made a good move in going for the bootstrapping first. I think there was more than be had in going over those slides and just recapping the design section than vice versa. All in all, I thought it was a great review and discussion. One of the guys has a copy of Cohen's book on this back in our lab and I'll be checking it out when I get back (and digging out my statistics texts...).

11:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home